Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Going on 13 documentary

Hey, girls. Recently, I had the privilege of creating a study guide to accompany the new documentary, Going on 13, which follows four girls from ages 9 - 13. I loved this film because it showed REAL GIRLS. I could watch the film again and again (and I did!) because the girls in it became very dear to me. They reminded me of girls I know: of my younger sister, my cousins, and the many amazing girls I've had the opportunity to work with through New Moon. It was so refreshing to see girls who spoke for themselves onscreen; it made me realize anew just how incredibly limited a portrayal the media usually gives girls.

The directors of Going on 13 would love to see you at one of their upcoming screenings. I'd also love to post your thoughts about the movie on this blog if you do get to see it! (There is some profanity in the film and some mature subject matter, so make sure to talk to your parents about whether it's OK for you to see it.)

The next screenings are:
1) LA Latino Film Festival Sept 13
2) SF Documentary Film Festival some time in Oct 17-30
3) South Asian Film Festival (NYC) Nov?
4) Leeds (UK) Youth Film Festival April 2009

And here's the trailer:

No comments: